Industrial development play an important role in the development of the country. To Provide the requisite quality & quantity of trained man power at different level, Govt. of India set up the National Institute of Foundry and Forge Technology (NIFFT) in the year 1966 in collaboration with UNDP-USESCO. NIFFT is registered as Society under the Societies Registration Act of 1860. The management of the Institute is vested with Board of Governors with Chairman at its apex and members representing Govt. of India (Ministry of HRD & industry), AICTE, Private and Public enterprises, technical and R & D organizations. During the last four decades NIFFT has earned a reputation as a leading institute for teaching, training, research & development, Consultancy and documentation and information retrieval services in metal casting and metal forming technology. With the globalization of the market, competitiveness in industries has increased tremendously. The VISION Statement of the Institute is: Accomplishing excellence in the technical education and act as repository and leader for disseminating state-of-the art knowledge and expertise in the field .
- To strengthen academic programmes with introduction of new courses in emerging areas at the Advanced Diploma, Graduate and Postgraduate levels.
- To create center of excellence and to encourage advanced studies to promote academic research.
- To promote international & National collaborations and joint venture in research & academic programmes.
- To augment institute-industry interactions and to offer consultancy / training /refresher courses / unit based programmes and library information services to industry.
- To carry out industrial research, design and development work in the areas of materials technology
- To promote collaborative research work with industries and research laboratories.
The Institute is situated on the southern periphery of Ranchi on the Ranchi - Chaibasa highway about 10 Kms. from Ranchi Railway station and about 6 kms. from Ranchi Airport. Ranchi is located at little over 600 meter height above means sea level, and has a very moderate and pleasant climate through out the year.
NIFFT has five main teaching departments Foundry Technology, Forge Technology, Manufacturing Engineering, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering and Department of Applied Science and Humanities (DASH). The institute is equipped with various laboratories such as Rapid proto type Lab. CAD-CAM, Ceramic Lab, Internet Laboratory, Sand laboratory, Metallography , FMS, Non-destructive and mechanical Testing, Spectroscopy, Environmental and Pollution Control Lab, Metrology, Electronics, SEM, Forging Laboratory, Computer Centre etc. Networking Facility available for all students & Faculty members and at the offices. The work shops and laboratories are adequately equipped with modern and sophisticated instruments for efficient training.